Monday 3 April 2017

The Last Thing You Said by Sara Biren Review

Image result for the last thing you said sara birenPublication Date:
April 4th 2017

Publisher:
Amulet Books

Goodreads synopsis:
 Last summer, Lucy’s and Ben’s lives changed in an instant. One moment, they were shyly flirting on a lake raft, finally about to admit their feelings to each other after years of yearning. In the next, Trixie—Lucy’s best friend and Ben’s sister—was gone, her heart giving out during a routine swim. And just like that, the idyllic world they knew turned upside down, and the would-be couple drifted apart, swallowed up by their grief. Now it’s a year later in their small lake town, and as the anniversary of Trixie’s death looms, Lucy and Ben’s undeniable connection pulls them back together. They can’t change what happened the day they lost Trixie, but the summer might finally bring them closer to healing—and to each other.


REVIEW:

Cover- I don't hate this cover but I don't love it either. I like the background with the lake and the woods, it's pretty much exactly how I pictured it in the book but I really don't like the colours chosen. The bright gradient just looks really tacky and reminds me of the gradient fill on Microsoft Powerpoint. I do quite like the font used for the title but the colouring just ruins it for me.

Plot- This book was so bloody amazing. It was a perfect representation of grief and how everybody deals with it in different ways. It was summery and cute but at times so devastating and makes you feel truly grateful and appreciate everything you have in your life. It was one of those books that really got to me and really made me think. It has a lot of important messages and a lot of depth to it. I loved how the two characters were struggling with learning how to cope with Trixie's death while also showing us that friendships stay with you always, whether the person is alive or not. One of the things I adored about this book was how Lucy and Ben learnt to come together and share their grief instead of pushing each other away.


Characters- Ben was probably my favourite character in this book. At times he was angry and withdrawn but that just made him feel all the more real, and it shows how truly heartbroken he was at the loss of his sister. It was evident that while he pushed Lucy away, he cared for her greatly and their love was slow burning and passionate which I loved. I always like relationships where they have a background and a history from before the book starts, rather than meeting in the book. Lucy did annoy me at times but I loved her loyalty to Trixie and how much she developed as a person throughout the book. Her best friend Hannah kind of felt like a replacement of Trixie though and although I loved her as a person (she was bright and bubbly and constantly there for Lucy smiling and cheering her up) she did just feel like a Trixie 2.0 and kind of a friendship rebound which made me feel sorry for her. There is one character I just absolutely hated for no reason at all, and that is Simon. I couldn't stand him. There wasn't a certain thing he said or did that made me feel this way, there was just something about him I really hated. I hated his and Lucy's relationship and just everything about him. Ugh. He was too possessive over Lucy too.



Writing- I liked the writing in this. It wasn't too advanced or complicated, but the simple writing style worked really well for this book. It was told from dual POV which I absolutely love because it allows us to further understand what both characters are thinking and why they make the decisions they do. It made me emotional and the little flashback stories about Trixie's life scattered throughout add depth and make it more interesting. They are lovely as they allow you to connect with a character who you otherwise wouldn't be able to properly connect with and to see what she was like as a person. It also shows that you can still remember someone in a positive light without being distraught and that grief does get easier over time. It might never fully go away, but it does get easier.


Overall- This was a devastating but eye-opening read with a really great romance brought together by the need to deal with grief and true friendship. 

Image result for 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment