Friday 10 July 2015

June 2015 Wrap Up

Hello there! Since June has now ended, it's time to share with you, the books I read this month. I got through five books this month and this is very late and I apologise, I just returned from my summer vacation to Kos (which was incredible)



The first book I indulged in was "My Mad Fat Diary" by Rae Earl. This is a collection of diary entries made by Rae when she was in her teenage years and experiencing lust and self doubt, as we all do. You may have heard of it, as it is also a TV series shown on E4 and the third season came out this month! 

It was so totally relatable and made so many different emotions run through me. It made me laugh, and cry, sometimes at the same time. It was almost weird how much I thought to myself "I completely know what you mean!" And I guess it just makes you realise that other people go through the same things as you.

I'm not sure if I can call them characters, as it is a true story, however I completely hated Bethany throughout the entire thing. She just annoyed me so much, and we all know somebody exactly like her. She always thought she was so much better than Rae, and she was essentially bullying her, just in a subtle way. I think she was manipulative and controlling and-
I could rant about Bethany for a while. I think the point was to hate her though, so good job Rae! 

I did get slightly confused with the "characters" at the beginning, but that's only because I had watched the TV show first, and they had different names, so I spent a while trying to work out who was who. On the whole, such an amazing and hilarious book. I gave it 4.5/5 stars! 




The second book I read was "Now You See Her" by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge. This is a thriller with so many twists in it, it's difficult to put it down. It's definitely a page turner, and I managed to finish it very quickly. 

The novel is about a woman named Nina Bloom who is a lawyer in New York. She's had a pretty bad past, and escaped some terrible things in her old life. The first half of the book is basically explaining how everything happened before she moved to New York. Then somebody gets sentenced to the death penalty, but Nina knows this man is innocent. She knows how guilty she would feel if the man died and she'd done nothing to try save him. So even though she is risking her own life, she goes back to where it all started to try save the life of an innocent man. 

This was the first Patterson book I'd read, as I'm not usually a big fan of thriller novels but this changed my opinion completely. , There were a few things I really loved about his writing. I liked how each chapter was only a few pages long. It made me feel like I was actually getting somewhere with the book. The style of writing was really good too, it was easy to get lost within his words. 

I also really connected with the main character Nina. I was so attached to her and I felt really sorry for her the whole way through. I was only so shocked towards the end at all the twists. I would thoroughly recommend this book. I gave it a 4/5 because it was quite slow to start off and get to the main plot.



I also read "Love Virtually" by Daniel Glattauer this month. I have mixed opinions about this book. I thought it was very unique, and fast paced as I managed to finish it in one sitting, but everything happened a bit too quickly for me.

The book surrounds two characters named Leo and Emmi who begin emailing when Emmi sends a message to the wrong email address. They start talking on a daily basis and realise that they quickly fall for each other. This is a huge problem as Emmi is happily married and a step mother to his two children.

The whole novel is set out in emails which I loved, as I found it made it easier to read, and I was really routing for them to get together the whole way through, I loved the main characters a lot. There were a few twists towards the end too which did really shock me, and convinced me to get the sequel (which I will hopefully be reading in the next few months!)

Overall, I thought this romance novel was exciting and heart-warming but I did feel that the characters fell in love too quickly, they barely knew each other and it made things slightly confusing so because of this, I gave it a 3.5/5 stars.



My favourite book I read this month was Divergent by Veronica Roth. I absolutely loved it, and as the movie is one of my favourites, I was a bit worried that the book wouldn't live up to my expectations. But I was wrong, it completely did and I cannot express my love for this book, and Veronica's writing style.

I'm sure most of you will know what the book is about, but for those who don't, I will give a short synopsis. Divergent is a dystopian novel set in a world that is divided into certain factions depending on what trait they value the most. The main character is Tris, who belonged to the selfless faction Abnegation. She takes a test to help find out which faction she is most suited to, as everyone must choose where they want to belong when they reach a certain age. Her results come back inconclusive, which means she shows traits from more than one faction. This is not normal, and the government are threatened by people like this, whom they call 'Divergent'. The book follows Tris as she chooses a faction and has to complete their initiation while trying to avoid people finding out who she really is.

I think the idea behind it is so exciting and the character development is just insane. I love watching Tris grow as a person and become so much braver in herself and her actions. Obviously her relationship with Four is literal goals and I practically melted every time Four appeared. The way he cares for her so much is adorable. I seriously just love this book and there aren't enough words to describe how great it is. Honestly, if you haven't done so already, just read it. I obviously gave it a 5/5.



Lastly, I read Ways To Live Forever by Sally Nicholls. I'd had this book since I was a lot younger, but never got around to reading it. As I needed a quick read before I went on holiday, I chose this one. I thought it was pretty good actually, although not the type of book I would normally read.

The book is about a young boy named Sam who has cancer, and loves collecting facts and little bits of information. He starts writing a book about all the questions nobody ever wants to answer, things about death and what happens. He makes a list of things he wants to do before he dies, and he sets out to do them all.

There is a movie based on this book too.

It's quite a sad book at times, but there isn't really much of a plot or an attachment to any of the characters, and the writing style is quite young. I thought this book was okay, and I gave it a 3/5.


So that's it for my June wrap-up! I hope you enjoyed, and as usual, please leave any comments below!
Cloud.



No comments:

Post a Comment